Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Quilting 2012

Well, to the more interesting things.  Firstly, our sewing group each did a quilt made from a jelly roll.  The aim was to reduce our "stash", so the requirement was that it had to be made with something that you already had in the cupboard.

Very easy for me.  It was all finished and quilted and is now sitting in the cupboard, waiting for a reason to be used.  I am very pleased with the finished quilt.  In fact they were all lovely - and all very different.


No doubt we will do a similar project.  I certainly have plenty of fabrics to choose from.

I was lucky enough to have the assistance of Bob and have replaced small cupboards in my sewing area with much larger ones.  I now have a wall of cupboards for my stash. 




I have also used Fabric Organisers from  DeNiece's Designs to help me store the fabrics in a better way. Still have to do quite a bit of reorganising, but it is getting there.

As a result, I have given myself the task of completing some of the UFOs that I have uncovered.  I find I am great at making quilt tops ('cause I love to see the fabrics all come together), but not good at putting on borders and finishing the quilts.

So, here are some results so far.

Rhymes & Stars - made for a friend from work who has just had a baby boy.  No, it wasn't an unfinished quilt top, but it was made from fabric out of the stash.


Butterfly Windows - finished yeah!! This one was originally made for my granddaughter, but then decided it was a bit "bright" for a young baby, so it went into that UFO pile.  It is now finished and waiting for a home.


Mystic Pinwheels - Ok, not technically out of the stash.  The pattern was given to me by a quilting friend in Queensland and I just had to make it.  So I bought some fabrics on my visits to fabric stores while visiting in Brisbane and more in Newcastle and couldn't wait to get it started.  Very happy with the finished quilt and intend to give it to some friends as a wedding gift.  Hope they love it too.

Have another couple of things on the go, but I will keep those for another post - hopefully not so far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment